Follow awfulagent on Twitter

About Me

A blog wherein a literary agent will sometimes discuss his business, sometimes discuss the movies he sees, the tennis he watches, or the world around him. In which he will often wish he could say more, but will be obliged by business necessity and basic politeness and simple civility to hold his tongue. Rankings are done on a scale of one to five Slithy Toads, where a 0 is a complete waste of time, a 2 is a completely innocuous way to spend your time, and a 4 is intended as a geas compelling you to make the time.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Peeling the layers

Which sign of the apocalypse is it when the 2nd best newspaper in New York City might now be The Onion?

Many years ago I used to buy multiple newspapers every Friday to devour movie reviews and see what was going on in the weekend, and I'd cart around hundreds of pages of newsprint quite happily.  In the early years of JABberwocky I cut back a bit on how often I'd buy papers but would still decamp to the Sunnyside branch of the Queens library and read my Newsday, Post and Daily News.  Now I get my NY Times home delivered, and get the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post sent to my Kindle, and whatever's left in the NY tabloids I just don't much care about any more.  There's less and less news in any of them.  The San Francisco Chronicle wasn't much even several years ago when Worldcon was held in San Jose, and at this point it's probably so devoid of content that I don't know if it would be missed should Hearst kill it.  

The long and short of all of this is that I've been missing the smell of napalm, um, newsprint, in the morning, and not entirely happy that I've gone from having 4 or 5 reviews of a new movie to maybe 2 or 3, and since the Onion has this nice AV Club section I've decided to start picking it up 2 or 3 times a month.  And of course the news in the Onion isn't real, but it's darned funny.

I had to share this with my fellow comic book fans, because it's LOL funny.

The Shining is one of my favorite all-time movies, so you must click so we can discuss  And discuss forever, and ever, and ever.  The last line of the article is deadpan perfection.

My f0rmer assistant Steve, I think he hung out with this guy when he was grabbing his last smoke before our 2008 flight to London Book Fair.

All this, and I get some good film reviews to boot.

Only problem:  they have lots to say about the Kindle, but they don't seem to be aware of its problems with cold weather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"No one in this administration likes Spawn."

Comedy gold.